In January 2014 #SexAbuseChat, a Twitter chat for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse, was born. Survivors from around the world logged onto the chat to provide each other with compassion, understanding, and encouragement. The chat became a way for survivors to unite with one another, rather than living in the isolation of shame that our abuse created. Our motto quickly became #NoMoreShame.
In October 2014, we opened another platform for survivors to join together and find healing in the form of a Google Hangout on Wednesday nights. The Hangout streams live on our YouTube Channel. We’re building the channel up with videos from not only the Hangouts but stand-alone videos on topics helpful to survivors, like coping mechanisms and medication.
As time progressed, the community of survivors participating in the chat and Hangout became more powerful. Sharing our stories with one another decreased our shame. With that came healing. As each of us took a step forward we reached behind to another survivor to help them take a step forward as well.
Witnessing the power of sharing our stories over this year has been amazing. We want to expand that healing power to a wider audience. To do this we have launched a #NoMoreShame November campaign. For the next month we’ll be tweeting, posting, video posting and generally raising a ruckus about childhood abuse.
Do you want to get involved?
- Go to the #NoMoreShame Project Facebook page and download the #NoMoreShame November button (right click and save). Use it as your avatar throughout November, and especially on and around November 17th, which is the date the first #NoMoreShame Project anthology publishes.
- Second, if you write a blog, even if it’s not about topics directly related to survivors, we want to feature it on the Nomoreshameproject.com website. We want people to know we are wonderful, incredible beings with much to offer the world! So just shoot me an email at BobbiLParish@Gmail.com with your blog link if you want to be included.
- Buy the first #NoMoreShame Project anthology of survivor stories when it publishes on November 17, 2014. It will be available on Amazon. Buy it, read it, share it!
- We are publishing a Survivor Story-a-Day on the website. Please read and share these stories on social media. We’d love to feature anyone’s story from this group! If you’re interested in that please email me at BobbiLParish@Gmail.com.
- Finally, go check out The #NoMoreShame Project YouTube Channel. Subscribe and share the videos.
Let’s make the inaugural #NoMoreShame November a month to remember!